Lots of stuff happening at GottaRun this summer:
The Nanaimo Bar Trail Run
The premier fitness, fun and eating event of the summer in Nanaimo! Join us each Tuesday morning at 9:30am as we run, tour and then eat a delicious Nanaimo Bar – from a restaurant on the official Nanaimo Bar Trail – at the end of the run! Registration appreciated.
21 Day Balance Pose Challenge
I recently heard the news that my aunt had fallen and broke her hip. She was 87 and within days she passed away. My mother, her older sister, is 88 and several years ago, fell and broke her hip as well, but with much perseverance she got through the surgery and pain and learned to walk again. She has since fell several times and is now confined to a wheelchair. I’m pretty convinced that the falls and broken hips could have been prevented if they had both worked on maintaining a strong core and regularly practiced balance poses. In order to honour these two women and to help persuade all you able bodied folks how important balance is in your life, I’m doing a 21 day balance pose challenge. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook at the hashtag: #21daybalanceposechallenge
Latest blog post: 22 Day 22 Push-up Challenge
I completed the 22 Day 22 Push-up Challenge and learned more than just how to do push-ups. Read all about it on the blog.
Track Running (It’s how to get faster)
Want to be a faster runner (no matter the distance)? Then run at the track. Join the Bastion Running Club each Wednesday morning at the Rotary Bowl Track (near NDSS) for some sprinting sessions with coaching. You will get lots of feedback from some long-time runners. Then we break for coffee, laughs and bragging at Bocca Coffee. Drop-ins welcome.
Races (besides food, it is why I run)
I can’t help myself, I love to compete and with all the running I do, it keeps me in shape to do a few races. Here are some that I’m considering or have actually signed up for:
- Vancouver Island Trail Running Series, Mount Washingtom August 13 – Crazy steep course, but I did it – the 8k! I somehow managed to be first in the 60-69 division.
- Brickyard Beast, Gabriola Island, BC – August 7 – Conquered that beast – now entitled to be called a Beastslayer! I won first place in the 60+ division, winning both a medal and a trophy.
- Run the Rock, Texada Island – August 28 – I’m thinking about how much I like this island and maybe a 8K would be sweet (there is also a full and a half marathon)
- September races… there are a few… I will add when I find them.
- Speaking of September events, I’ve committed to a few track events at the BC 55+ Games in Coquitlam – Sept 20-24 – Might as well put all that track training to work!
- GoodLife Fitness events, Victoria – October 9 – I’ve registered and paid my money for the 8K (fourth year doing this race!)